Friday, January 14, 2011

What Really Happened to Ngalangala

Obviously, my year-ender post is further delayed. I had set my mind on doing it last weekend. But due to unavoidable circumstances, I wasn't able to. What was it? You ask.

I had an open surgery last January 8 and was discharged from the Manila Doctor's Hospital last Tuesday, January 11. I was able to text some people after my operation. However, I was still groggy that time so I dont remember who were the ones I was able to inform.

For the past 6 months, I'd had chronic tummy aches that I thought could be attributed to LBM, empacho, dyspepsia, and UTI. You name it! One such incident happened last November 2, which prompted my mom to force me to have myself checked. We went to my Ob-Gyne at Las Pinas Doctors Hospital, Dra. Sonia Milagros Ariola. Unfortunately, she had an emergency so she just left instructions with her secretary. I was to undergo urinalysis and proceed to Emergency to give them the results and they'll be the one to relay to her. So I did and got normal results. Based on the results, I was told to "increase fluid intake." I followed the advice and went back to work. Since then everytime I had stomach pains I just took Buscopan or Ponstan.

Then last January 5, I had the most painful stomachache on my way to work. I thought I was going to die on the road. I muttered prayers and thankfully, the pain subsided when I got off at Kalaw. Upon arrival at the office, I hurried to the bathroom since I felt like throwing up. I was horrified to find blood discharge. I told my boss about what happened to me. She told me, "Dapat magpa check up ka na, anything with pain and blood is not normal." Since I didn't have my Caritas (HMO) card with me, I decided to go to the doctor the next day.

I went through the motions of getting LOA (for free consultations), and was able to secure an appointment with an Ob-Gyne at Medical Center Paranaque, Dr. Mignonette Mortel. Her first question was, "Buntis ka ba, hija?" To which I said no. She then asked, "Bagong panganak?" To which I also answered no. And both the doctor and her secretrary asked, "Eh bakit ang laki ng tiyan mo? Para kang 8 months na buntis!" So that got me worried. She had me lie down, and her diagnosis was I had an ovarian mass and it seemed like I had to be operated, so to be sure she ordered for a transvaginal ultrasound. To make the long story short, they found a HUGE cyst on my right ovary and the only remedy was surgery.

So the following day, which was a Friday, January 7, I went to Manila Doctor's Hospital (MDH) for a second opinion. My uncle, a cardiologist at MDH, recommended Dr. Feliza Oraa. She said the same thing, I had an ovarian cyst, but she wanted the ultrasound repeated because there were no measurements indicated in the ultrasound report. She also wanted me to have several lab tests like ECG, blood typing, CBC, and urinalysis so that she knows what to expect come operation time, tentatively scheduled on January 11.

Unfortunately, on January 8, I experienced unbearable pain and even vomitted blood. So I was rushed to MDH and Dr. Oraa had me undergo surgery that same day. Suffice it to say, she did great, she was able to save my right ovary, removing only this huge cyst:


Really huge, eh? It's bigger than a pitcher according to my sister. Well, thank God I am still alive. ^_^

6 comments:

  1. grabe ang laki!!
    im glad your ok

    welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ang laki nito lian! i cant imagine the pain na nafeel mo. buti na lang at natanggal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @az, thanks! laki talaga, kahit ako nagulat nung ipakita sakin yang pic. kelangan na ako i-monitor from now on.

    @mei, i was screaming like manganganak nako, pero mas grabe yung pain. feeling ko nga mataas na tolerance ko sa pain, kase natiis ko na dala ko yan ng ilang buwan, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I read this just now. It's good to know you're all better now. That's one huge cyst. Panu mo daw nakuha yan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. IKR? Well, the doctor didn't know. But she believed some people are born with cysts. There are factors lang na nag-cacause na lumaki siya. Like in my case, baka daw sa activities ko or sa kinakain ko. And sa tingin niya yung vitamins ko dun napupunta kaya naman ang laki2x ng cyst. Para akong nag-alaga ng baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:29 PM

    ang laki nga.. buti na lang benign..

    ReplyDelete