Friday, July 16, 2010

Food Fancy: KaLui Restaurant


My last out-of-town trip was to Puerto Princesa with my mom over a month ago. I guess most of you know that by now since I got a couple of posts about it. And, well, a trip to Puerto Princesa wouldn't be complete without dining at KaLui Restaurant!

I've read so much about it in the course of my online research. Eventually, I emailed Ivan Henares about the price, etc. and he was really a big help. Thanks dude!

Anyway, a few days before our trip to PP, I got in touch with Tita Fae and requested her to make reservations at KaLui because from what I understood it was a by-reservation-only restaurant. Later I found out it wasn't, but it was advised to make reservations since the resto was always packed especially during dinner. The waiters even had to set up some tables outside in the garden to accomodate some guests when we were there. Originally, I requested for lunch but Tita had better ideas so we ended up having dinner at KaLui. It certainly was for the best because the beauty of the ambience and the lighting can be best appreciated in the evening.


Guests have to enter barefoot and leave their footwear by the entrance where it will be stored inside native baskets, which they call "lockers." The arrangement is not your typical tables and chairs type. There is an area where it looks like a sala in your own home complete with throw pillows and sofa, and there's also an area where you are to sit on the floor. The idea sounds Japanese-like but it's all-Filipino with all those native decorations and furniture. Plus they have a gallery where works of art are on display. I just don't know if they're for sale, too.

True to online reviews, the taste of the food is superb! Mama's friends ordered something like a set menu of seafood dishes. I don't recall much the names, but I do remember a grilled tuna belly dish, which was delish! I finished off a plate by myself! *grins* I also ordered Tubbattaha Salad, which was good except I don't like wasabi, and it had a green-like thingie that looked too much like wasabi so I ended up eating the fruits and veggies on the top part of the bowl. *giggles* The choco banana shake, wheat grass tea, and watermelon shake were great, too! I tried all three of them! *laughs* Adik lang, sorry naman!

I was supposed to pay for dinner since it was my idea to eat at KaLui, but the waiter returned my payment because someone else paid for the meal. Our bill amounted to a little over two thousand. Not bad for 7 people. Imagine that. So that's something like P285++ per person. I was quite thankful because that meant I could use the money for more pasalubong. *grins again*


KaLui Restaurant is definitely on my list when I come back to Puerto Princesa with Cris! It's so easy on the pocket with a variety of wonderful dishes to choose from, not to mention great customer service, and the resto is so homey, it'll feel like eating in your own home with a bunch of waiters at your beck and call! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment