Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Finally Appreciating Twilight

I'm not the type of person who goes along with everyone. Don't get me wrong. In simple terms, I meant hindi ako nakikiuso. So when the Twilight fever started a couple of years ago or so, I was unaffected. I didn't even watch the movie.

One Christmas vacation, I got to watch bits and pieces of the said movie when my niece brought over several pirated DVDs. Like most, she had already seen it on the big screen and she still wanted to watch it at home. Tsk, tsk. At that time I didn't get why people, mostly teens, were gushing with praises for Twilight. In my opinion, it was too high school-ish. And I felt it was all a marketing hype. My opinions were validated when some of my friends -- the intellectual type who always liked classics -- weren't hooked like a lovestruck kid after watching the movie (or reading the book). I guess, the reason why Twilight did not appeal to me is because it's not realistic. I'm past the age of fantasizing about that kind of love, even if by some remote chance vampires were real.


Needless to say, I watched New Moon, the second installment of the Twilight Saga, on the silver screen with Cris. And also Eclipse. Yet we weren't hooked like everybody else. Cris wasn't impressed at all. And by the third movie, we were both shaking our heads, appalled at Bella, muttering "Ano ba yan" in disgust. Tsk, tsk.


I still did not understand the fanaticism. At Ate Ena's encouragement, I borrowed her copy of Twilight. And then it dawned on me. So now I get it. Fans just can't get enough of the combination of love, danger, and excitement!

However, I must say the book is better than the movie. It's also an advantage that I got to watch it first before reading the book, my imagination didn't have to work overtime to conjure the scenes down to the last detail. Plus points goes to the writing style of the author, too. It's very descriptive and it doesn't bore me at all even if it's all wholesome. *grins*

I'm still not a huge fan of the the Twilight series, but it's interesting enough. I'm on the second book right now. After a week or two, I'll be finished with all four. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment