Sunday, June 20, 2010

Missing Papa on Father's Day

Today is Father's Day. Others are busy celebrating and I envy them. *sigh*

It's been 12 years since my father passed away and to this day I still miss him terribly. I remember he used to drive me to and from school, which were among my fondest memories of him. In the mornings, when I was grumpy or sleepy on the way to school he'd cheer me up and show me the car was "dancing." I actually believed him then. It was only when I learned to drive myself that I realized it was just him playing with the steering wheel. In the afternoons, when he had extra money he'd bring me to Tropical Hut to buy me my favorite spaghetti, and he'd let me play on that mini-carousel for a while. Sometimes my mom would scold us when we get home a little late without my dad making paalam. Mobile phones weren't in back then.



There are more stories that I could tell, but it will only hurt me more. I just want people (those whose fathers are still with them) to know that they're extremely lucky. Papa left us when I was still in my first year in high school. So I didn't get that much years to spend with him and tell him how much I love him. I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if he was there during my graduation, confirmation, debut, and stage performances at EK. I'm hoping he'd be proud of me, that's what most people tell me.

Anyway, to the daughters and sons out there my advise is this: cherish every moment, and spend as much time as you could with your parents, you'll never know when the time is up.

And to all fathers, Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment