Monday, September 13, 2010

Food Fancy: Boy Ching Woo Restaurant

Last Thursday, Cris and I had dinner at Boy Ching Woo Restaurant in Caloocan City.

I first read about Boy Ching Woo in an article on Yahoo! about "old" restaurants that survived for decades and are still operational up to this day. Most of the restaurants cited in the article were in the vicinity of Binondo so when I saw one in Caloocan I immediately searched for it in google maps to ascertain its location. To my delight, I found that it was just near the Caloocan City Hall, a jeepney ride from the place we're renting there. So without hesitation I texted my boyfriend and arranged to have dinner on Thursday, Sept. 9, after picking me up from work.

Boy Ching Woo is just a small place occupying the ground floor of a small building along a side street, and has been there since 1939. It's not your typical classy restaurant. In fact, it looks like an upgraded version of an eatery or cafeteria. Even their menu is just printed on plain paper then laminated. It just feels sort of sosyal because of the lighting, the walls, and the over-all look from the outside. At least it's not stuffy. I didn't feel like I had to be on my best behavior or something. Tipong kung gusto mo mag-kamay keri lang. *laughs* However, I hate the tables. Well actually the table cloth, kamukha kase ng covering ng sofa namen sa bahay, yung balat na ginagamit na pang-upholster.

We ordered plain rice, battered chicken, and szechuan seafood in hot pot. Both dishes are specialties/ bestseller. Although the chicken is okay enough, I still like the buttered chicken in Trucos because you really smell the butter-y aroma from afar. And tastes like butter, too. Unlike the one served here. By the way, you might be wondering about the spelling. That's really the way they spelled it on their menu. I think it has something to do with the same dish served in a certain province where they beat the chicken to death (hence, the name "battered"), dip and coat it in a special batter, then fry it in butter. Basta something to that effect. If I'm not mistaken that is also mentioned in the Yahoo! article. As for the szechuan seafood, it's a must-try! Both Cris and I agreed it was really good. The consistency (I don't know if it's the right term) was just right. The sauce or "soup" if you may call it that wasn't too malabnaw or malapot either. Talagang tamang-tama lang. Plus, the squid, shrimp and fish were really fresh! And for a person who doesn't like maanghang, it had the right blend of spices. I truly enjoyed eating it!


The price is really affordable. Imagine our meal, with servings good enough for 3, cost us approximately P350 only. Sulit talaga!

So if you're in Caloocan City, try
out Boy Ching Woo Restaurant. I'm sure you guys won't regret it.

Boy Ching Woo Restaurant is located in 103 BCW Building, J. Rodriguez St., Caloocan City.

3 comments:

  1. omg omg omg
    dyan ako nakain nugn bata pa ko
    dyan din ako na order ng take out at nagpapadeliver ng food
    bahay namin nasa likod lang nyan noon ahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talaga? Hahaha! Small world talaga. Taga-Caloocan ka pala dati? Nakaka-aliw noh? Ang tagal na niyang resto na yan, almost as old as my mother. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lian! I also wrote an article about BOY CHING WOO, we visited again the restaurant just last week. Masarap talaga sa Boyching, lalo na yung Shrimp with green peas and Pancit Shanghai, yummmy!!! When I was still a small kid, dyan kami nakatira sa J.Rodriguez cor P.Zamora, tapat kami ng Caloocan Elementary School, kaya malapit kami sa Boyching! Teenager palang ang mommy ko dyan na daw sila kumakain, hanggang sa generation namin... Yung battered chicken, panalo din talaga, saka madami yung serving, sulit talaga! Tnx for sharing! ROCK ON!!! =)

    You and your readers might wanna check out this article I wrote about our favorite restaurant: http://www.isp101.net/2011/03/boy-ching-woo-chinese-restaurant.html

    ReplyDelete